What is MDS?
- MDS stands for Master of Dental Surgery, which is a master's degree program in dentistry. This course can be taken by a student who has completed a dental science degree and wants to have a deeper understanding of dental conditions.
- The MDS program lasts three years. This course can be completed in two years by those who have already earned a postgraduate diploma recognized by DCI. The Dental Council of India (DCI) recognizes MDS degrees in a variety of specialties.
- Students in the MDS program study disorders of the tooth, jaw, and other face dental concerns in order to maintain good oral health. Colleges admit students based on their performance on the entrance test.
Who is eligible for MDS?
Candidates for admissions to the MDS. program must meet the NBE's eligibility criteria (National Board of Examinations). Candidates can read some basic qualifying criteria for Master of Dental Surgery below,
- Candidate must be an Indian, while Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs) are also eligible.
- Candidate must have completed their BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) from the recognized institute of Dental council of India
- Candidates must complete a year-long rotatory internship that has been approved by DCI.
While completing the Master’s Degree, candidates can choose the Specialization and the Course they want to study, Following are the Specializations you can do while opting for Master of Dental Surgery
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Public Health Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Oral Medicine and Radiology
Entrance Exams for MDS
In India, there are a total of four Entrance exams to get admission to any of the above Medical Specialization Course, you are required to pass an entrance exam there are various exams to choose from. They are as follows,
NEET PG (National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test Postgraduate)
AIIMS PG (All India Institute of Medical Sciences Post Graduate)
JIPMER PG (Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research Post Graduate)
PGIMER (Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research)
NEET MDS (National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test Master of Dental Surgery)